BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 7, 2011

Grinner Hip Hop Sees no Color Talking Points #2

When reading Grinner’s article “ Hip Hop Has no Color,” Grinner uses the SCWAMP model Straight, Christian, White, Able-bodied, Male and Property Holding . It’s as if I almost knew where the article was going without even getting through the first couple of pages. As soon as she mentioned Save the Last Dance, I figured that Grinner was going to pick apart each and every detail of the film. Grinner is able to open your eyes and allow the reader to realize things that maybe they hadn’t noticed while watching the movie previously.

After reading the article I know if I was to re-watch the movie and pay attention to Grinners specific ideals of ideology in this movie it would be as if I was watching the movie for the first time, not just watching the movie for the entertainment aspect of it but more so for the true meaning behind it. I feel as though all movies based upon teenage, high school students all for the most part have the same plot, with a few twists along the way that make it different from the last one. It is as if you can tell what is going to happen in the movie without even watching it, or the whole thing. I found that Grinner’s observations were legitimate , but I feel like the person watching the film, depending of their cultural back-rounds will all have a different affect on them. I feel like what it comes down to is that everything through media is so stereotypical and self explanatory,you already know what to expect. Its all for money, and ratings.

I personally am not into movies that much I don’t ever go out of my way to watch a movie, so that is why is it hard for me to come up with movies that represent these ideal ideologies of Grinner, but I am mostly familiar with reality television. I am very familiar with MTV, I know from watching Teen Mom that the majority of the girls on that show are indeed white, and for the most part they are representing a stereotype that white people are typically not represented in through media. I don’t think media will ever change.

0 comments: