BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Christensen, " Unpacking the Myths that Bind Us." Post 3

Argument

The article, " Unpacking the Myths that Bind us," by Linda Christensen is an article where Christensen is expressing her feelings towards relatively recent children's television, and movies. She talks about common films that we all are familiar with such as Disney movies like Mullan and Aladdin. Some children's television she refers to is shows like Looney Tunes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Christensen argument seems to be that these movies, and shows that children familiar themselves so much with these movies and shows that they ultimately influence the children, the way they act and how they represent the world around them. Some where along the line the hidden racism, sexism within these clips is imbedded in the minds of these young children.
I like when Christensen says, " Our society's culture industry colo­

nizes their minds and teaches them how to act, live, and dream." I believe in this same idea as well because everyday I work with 5 yr olds and they get so into a character form a show or movie that they look up to. For example I have one student who is constantly talking, acting and thinking about ironman. He gets so into character that he seems to forget that he is in school. More than once a day I have to remind him that he is, ( and I tell him his name) right now and not iron man. He makes sound effects and body motions as if he was ironman himself. More over I also can relate to Christensen when she mentions in her article about Beverly Tatum, who wrote the book, " Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" And that particular part caught my eye because I always seem to notice, and or pay attention to things like that, and I have actually noticed that before. And I am sure it must be true for all ethnicities.

After reading this article, I couldn't help but to go to youtube and watch some Disney movie clips that represent these so called sexual oriented hidden secrets within the Disney movies, I don't know how to take the whole thing. I think it is weird, but at times it could be believable. More over the always popular Disney princesses, all my little 5 yr old girl students LOVE the Disney princesses, they all wear the clothes have the dolls, blankets, bedding sheets, the dance around and think its the best thing ever, but little do these little innocent girls realize is that they're being set up to think that they have to look a certain way. The princesses are always skinny, usually white and have curvy body frames. I also read somewhere that the newer of the Disney Princesses from the movie, " The princess and the Frog," she is a black princess, where that brought up plenty of talk, then the issue that her prince was white, and how a black prince wasn't good enough.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I really liked the way you related your life and your work with kids to Christensen's article. Hope to see you in class tomorrow.

Alexis Renae said...

I also thought of all the Disney "secret" sexual messages while reading the article. I feel like people make sure a huge deal out of them, because they have "naughty animators" they can blame, instead of noticing the stereotypes and oppressive messages.