BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 1, 2010

Promt #1

The neighborhood in which my school is located, is an urban, busy environment. Located very close by to local hospitals. There are a lot of street lights, and people always seem to be in a rush. The outside of the school building is made out a brick. The railing adjacent to the stairs look old and rusted. To get into the building one needs to ring the buzzer, in order to be allowed in. The school building does not stand tall, probably only consisting of two floors. The signs outside of the school building are not only in English but in Spanish as well. Right away I knew that this school was going to have many Spanish, oriented speaking students, coming from Spanish cultures and back rounds. Where I am from, there were never any signs outside of schools with different languages on them other than English. Inside of the school building it smelt just like I remembered an elementary school smelling. I saw smiling,grumpy and tired looking faces as I walked in for the first time.I heard whining and the sniffling of stuffy noses. Right inside of the main entrance to the building there were kids waiting outside the main office, for late slips to class, for they were late to school that morning. It was evident to me already at that point that I was in a school community where minorities were the majority. I thought the space and the surrounds of the school were welcoming, and I imagined the school to look a lot different than what it did. The lighting in the building is dull, but the brightly colored signs, and paintings seemed to brighten things up within the schools corridors. The signs on the hall way walls were all educational and positive sayings, for example " Today is a great day to do your best!" More over, I was happy to find out that I was going to be tutoring in a particular room because it is a large, open, colorful room with space and versatility. Right away the children were very welcoming and happy to see me there. Some of the kindergarten classrooms were very stuffed and cluttered. Classrooms with the same amount of children in them varied in size. Over all, the school felt welcoming, although at times the adults inside it did not. My teacher seems very focused on her students. She adapts to certain children to accomedate their individual needs. She shows motivation and great concern. She is caring and friendly as well. Right away I was introduced to what this school values. My school values the three words, respect,responsibilty, and safety. In order to exagerate the importance of those words, definaitions and examples are posted throughout the school. Students are rewarded feathers(feathers because their schools mascott is a bird) everytime they show either of those vauled words and after recieveing a certain amount of feathers, they get to choose from prizes, which for school aged children is very rewarding and exciting.

0 comments: